Current:Home > NewsTradeEdge Exchange:FBI updates photo of University of Wisconsin bomber wanted for 53 years -Capitatum
TradeEdge Exchange:FBI updates photo of University of Wisconsin bomber wanted for 53 years
SignalHub Quantitative Think Tank Center View
Date:2025-04-07 03:59:01
MADISON,TradeEdge Exchange Wis. (AP) — More than 50 years after a Vietnam War-era bombing on the University of Wisconsin campus that killed a researcher, the FBI on Thursday released age-processed photographs of a suspect who has thus far evaded law enforcement and been referred to as “Wisconsin’s state ghost.”
Leo Burt was placed on the FBI’s most wanted list immediately after the 1970 bombing of Sterling Hall and remains the last fugitive sought by the FBI in connection with radical anti-Vietnam War activities.
The bombers parked a stolen van packed with fertilizer and fuel outside the university’s Army Math Research Center in Sterling Hall and lit the fuse in the early morning hours of Aug. 24, 1970. The bomb attack, which was the nation’s most powerful until the 1995 Oklahoma City bombing, killed 33-year-old graduate student Robert Fassnacht, who was doing research in the middle of the night. It also injured other people and caused millions of dollars in damage. The bombers fled to Canada.
Three of the four wanted men were captured in the 1970s after trying to live underground. They were convicted, served short prison terms and resumed their lives.
Burt, who grew up in the Philadelphia suburbs, came to Wisconsin on an ROTC scholarship and joined the rowing team, vanished. One former prosecutor called him “Wisconsin’s state ghost.”
The FBI received tips and alleged sightings from all over the world for decades, often spiking around anniversaries of the bombing. Some theorize that Burt is dead, while others compare him to D.B. Cooper, the hijacker who disappeared after parachuting out of an airliner with $200,000. There was even a theory in the 1990s, proven untrue with Theodore Kaczynski’s arrest, that he may have been the Unabomber.
The FBI continues to offer $150,000 for information leading to Burt’s arrest.
The FBI’s Milwaukee field office on Thursday released the photos that envision Burt as a 75-year-old man. The photo was done in conjunction with the 53rd anniversary of the bombing, which was last week, said FBI spokesperson Leonard Peace.
In his photo from 1970, Burt is wearing glasses and has a full head of dark, curly hair. In the new age-processed depiction, he is mostly bald and shown with and without glasses.
Madison attorney Lester Pines, 73, was a UW student at the time of the bombing. As a young attorney in 1975 he was part of a team that defended one of the bombers.
“If the FBI is correct, Leo Burt’s visage has changed much worse than mine has,” Pines said in reaction to the updated photo simulation. “I guess that Leo has not taken good care of himself, if he’s even still alive.”
veryGood! (63244)
Related
- Jorge Ramos reveals his final day with 'Noticiero Univision': 'It's been quite a ride'
- Congress didn’t include funds for Ukraine in its spending bill. How will that affect the war?
- New York Gov. Kathy Hochul says last-minute disaster assistance is unconscionable after record-breaking rain
- Who is Jenny in 'Forrest Gump'? What to know about the cast of the cinema classic.
- Which apps offer encrypted messaging? How to switch and what to know after feds’ warning
- Runners off the blocks: Minneapolis marathon canceled hours before start time
- Search resumes for missing 9-year-old girl who vanished during camping trip in upstate New York park
- Clergy abuse survivors propose new ‘zero tolerance’ law following outcry over Vatican appointment
- The Louvre will be renovated and the 'Mona Lisa' will have her own room
- 'It's still a seller's market' despite mortgage rates hitting 23-year high
Ranking
- Intellectuals vs. The Internet
- Top European diplomats meet in Kyiv to support Ukraine as signs of strain show among allies
- Judge plans May trial for US Sen. Bob Menendez in bribery case
- Disgruntled WR Chase Claypool won't return to Bears this week
- US appeals court rejects Nasdaq’s diversity rules for company boards
- Sam Bankman-Fried must now convince a jury that the former crypto king was not a crook
- Malaysians urged not to panic-buy local rice after import prices for the staple rise substantially
- 'Carterland' puts a positive spin on an oft-disparaged presidency
Recommendation
Former longtime South Carolina congressman John Spratt dies at 82
Journalist dies after being shot 7 times in his home; no arrests made
Anya Taylor-Joy Marries Malcolm McRae in Star-Studded Italy Wedding
Newspaper editor Marty Baron: We always have to hold power to account
As Trump Enters Office, a Ripe Oil and Gas Target Appears: An Alabama National Forest
Beyoncé Announces Renaissance World Tour Film: See the Buzz-Worthy Trailer
Family of 9-year-old Charlotte Sena, missing in NY state, asks public for help
'It's a toxic dump': Michigan has become dumping ground for US's most dangerous chemicals